Sunday, January 23, 2011

Let's pretend to be warm

To make this clear: I am done with winter. Done.


So, instead let's take our minds to Happier Times. Like when I frolicked in the warm waters of Tahiti and Bora Bora. Ate fresh mangoes until I nearly exploded. Went shark diving without a cage. Yes, Happier Times indeed.



This will probably be one of the only times I'll ever have a post warranting a bikini picture (wonky face and all). Enjoy it while you can.



Sitting on the deck, watching the warm rain on  Bora Bora (sadly the exact opposite of what I am doing right now).



See, proof. I am not making this trip up. Know what else I didn't make up? Swimming with sharks.
This is our grand tour bus on Tahiti! 

I believe this is the view as we flew into Bora Bora from Tahiti. Short flight, less than hour -- with stunning views. 

Bora Bora has a central island with hotels and the town, and then a ring of reefs around it. Our hotel was on the surrounding reef so the only way to get to it was by boat. This is our boat getting us from the airport (where, oddly, John Travolta was that day). 

Our first view of our hut in Bora Bora. Hut might not be the best word...


 View from our deck. Every hut had its own stairs down to the water, which was about 3 or 4 feet deep.
The main building of our hotel! 

The little town of Bora Bora -- I'm not sure how far the road actually went, but I don't think it went all the way around the island. We had to take a 30 minute boat ride from our hotel to the town. Boats left every hour or so. 

The town is filled with great pearl shops. I don't even like pearls, but I must admit they had some really beautiful stuff. You can get a pearl necklace and pick out each individual pearl, matching it to your skintone. Just fantastic works of art when they are done. 

These are the guys who took us shark diving. This was our victory song for not being eaten. 

Tahiti itself. 


Tahiti again. This give you a good view of the black sands on the coast. 

What do you know, I even found a romantic waterfall! 

My lovely mom and I on our last day in Bora Bora. Look at that incredible scenery! 

4 comments:

  1. I'm with you. The thermometer outside my window reads 22 F / -5 C. I'll dream of my time in Kenya or Costa Rica (the highlands of both). Swimming with sharks . . . you're braver than I am!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 22F? That is ridiculous. My body stops accepting temperatures at about 60. Anything below that, I immediately collapse into hibernation.

    Kenya? Now that sounds like a climate I could be happy in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Aly, I got here through a long series of posts/comment so I don't really know how :p
    I can relate to this post of yours, I am in Cairo and it's so chilly, no heating, ugh! I spent one week in Singapore recently and it was 30°C all the time, such a delight! Back to winter now, ugh :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Guilia,

    Thanks for stopping by! Stay safe in Cairo; I'll definitely be watching your updates of the protests on your blog.

    ReplyDelete